Monday, May 20, 2019

Springtime Hooping in Warrior Within

This year is my 9th year of hula hooping! So many surrounding factors in my life have changed since I made my first hula hoop in a Walmart parking lot nine years ago, but my passion for hoop dance has not.

In the past nine years, I got my bachelors degree, graduated college, moved back to the west coast, lost loved ones, met my partner, got married, birthed a daughter, switched jobs a few times, moved houses (several times), and so much more. Change truly is the only constant. 

Throughout all of this, I’ve always found access to my inner child, and my inner peace, through hula hooping and music. Dancing, in many different forms, brings me so much joy and allows me to release pent up energy. I highly recommend hoop dancing to anyone who is looking for a fun form of exercise as well as a way to express yourself and leave the world behind, if only for a moment. 

Yesterday was a gorgeous spring day here on the north coast and I set up my tripod, let Darlene run around in the backyard while I danced and captured some photos of my flow in these extra special handmade velvet flow pants from Warrior Within Designs. I’ve taken many videos of myself hooping over the years, but still photography captures dance in a different way and I am so happy with how these spontaneous photos turned out. 

I could go on and on about how much I love hula hooping, but for now I’ll just leave these photos here and say thank you, hooping, for your therapeutic and medicinal qualities, and for always being a constant in my sea of change. 































No comments:

Post a Comment